Michael J. Welch, M.D.
Dr. Welch has been a physician with AAMGRC, for almost 40 years. He is a board-certified specialist in allergy and immunology and voluntary Clinical Professor at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. An active author, editor and lecturer, Dr. Welch has published a large body of work in a number of journals, edited two books and lectured extensively throughout the world at meetings, conventions, workshops, colleges, grand rounds, and dinners. He has held leadership positions and memberships in numerous professional organizations and associations in the field of asthma, allergy and immunology. Dr. Welch has been an active volunteer and teacher in the San Diego community since coming to San Diego in the 1980’s. His passion was the Southern California Asthma Camp Program, serving as Medical Director for over 25 years. His main clinical research interest is in the area of pharmacotherapeutics for allergic disease.
- Physician and Sub-Investigator, Allergy & Asthma Medical Group and Research Center
- Clinical Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Allergy and Immunology, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
- Annual Leadership Award – American Lung Association of San Diego and Imperial Counties, 1995
- Children’s Hospital San Diego CME Physician Recognition Award for outstanding contributions to CME, 1997
- 1998 Health Hero of San Diego – Combined Health Agencies, San Diego, 1998
- Volunteer Excellence Award Nominee – American Lung Association of San Diego and Imperial Counties, 1999
- Physician Citizen of the Year, San Diego Medical Society, 1999
- Special Recognition Award, AAAAI Annual Meeting, 2001
- Honorary Life Member Award, American Lung Association of San Diego County, 2001
- San Diego Top Doctors, Allergy & Immunology, San Diego Magazine, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Blue Cross Community Service Award, San Diego, 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation – Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program, Arizona State University College of Nursing & Healthcare Innovation, 2008
- Mariel C. Furlong Award for Making a Difference – Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), 2011
- Clean Air Circle Honoree – American Lung Association, 2011
Dr. Welch and his wife enjoy traveling, camping and loving life. You can also find him biking through the city and on the sea. His “Sea Bike” has earned the title, “Best Self-Powered Vessel” the last two years at the San Diego Bay Parade of Lights.